Monday, January 21, 2008

Is His Grace Enough?

My husband has been reading Max Lucado's book In The Grip of Grace. The other night he had me read the following small section out loud. I found my voice starting to get weaker the more I read.
"In God Came Near I've told how our oldest daughter fell into a swimming pool when she was two years old. A friend saw her and pulled her to safety. What I didn't tell was what happened the next morning in my prayer time. I made a special effort to record my gratitude in my journal. I told God how wonderful he was for saving her. As clearly as if God himself were speaking, this question came to mind: Would I be less wonderful had I let her drown? Would I be any less a good God for calling her home? Would I still be receiving your praise this morning had I not saved her? Is God still a good God when he says no?"
This is such a powerful message to me. It is so easy to say that I trust God and that I know he has my best interest in mind. But when it comes right down to it...do I trust him? Would I be able to praise him if he were to take home one of my loved ones, my daughter? my husband? The thought is enough to bring tears to my eyes. Is my faith strong enough? Is God's grace enough for me?

No comments: