Saturday, January 19, 2008

Beautiful Baby


Olivia is now 19 days old. Where does the time go? It seems like I was still in the hospital yesterday. Over the past 2 1/2 weeks I have started to notice fun little idiosyncrasies about my amazing and beautiful daughter; including: She LOVES the sound of running water, she tends to stop fussing when she is getting her hair brushed, she has great dreams (I'm sure it's just gas but she smiles a lot when she sleeps...I'll just pretend that she is dreaming of happy things), and she is a drunk (milk drunk that is...you should see that face after she has nursed!).

I am learning how to function on very little sleep. It is amazing what you can still do with such little time to dream yourself. Some nights she sleeps 4-6 hours straight while others she's up every hour. Last night she didn't even try to sleep for me until about 5am. That was nice.....thankfully Greg didn't have to go to work today and was able to help out some.

I knew it would be an adjustment to my life style, having a baby....I am starting to feel the effects more and more now that I can't just "quick run errands". I have been to Grand Rapids twice in the past week and each time I can think of a million things I need to get done (new wiper blades for the car, buy more breast milk freezer bags, pick up my bridesmaid dress...) but it is really hard to do that when you have a baby. I am sure it will get better in time. I am still healing from the c-section and it will start to "warm" up eventually which will also help...it's just the time it takes to get to that point. There are things I would love to be getting done at home as well. I have books to read, pillow cases to sew, a baby book to update, wedding speeches to write, etc...but I just haven't yet. I know it is alright, again I am still in recovery, but I am just afraid that my maternity leave is going to be over before I know it and I will still have this list staring me in the face. I know all of this is OK and normal....just part of the adjustment to having something more important in my life than tasks; which I am more than OK with. Olivia is a wonderful blessing and I would rather have a list staring at me for the rest of my life than not have this precious gift cradled in my arms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this picture of Olivia! She's so cute and I can't wait to see her Monday. It's funny how the things that were so important to you pre-baby aren't a priority anymore - errands, sleep, house chores, etc. Expecially when you're organized and a planner. It's definitely an adjustment, but so worth it! Summertime will definitely be easier when it comes to "lugging" her around. Bundling for this freezing weather is such a pain! Can't wait to see you Monday! Take care...

anne said...

Gorgeous picture! :)