Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things are not so easy...

So back in October I discovered a weird growth on my right hand's index finger. At first we thought it was a blood blister but after an unsuccessful attempt at "popping" it I decided to let my doctor look at it. Her response was "Eww...what is that?" Anyways, because it wasn't bothering me she told me that we'd look at it again when the pregnancy was over, unless it started to become painful or change. So yesterday I finally had my dermatologist appt to get it looked at. She told me what it is...5 times and I still can't repeat it. It is nothing with a normal name but called PG for short. She said that some pregnant women develop them for some unknown reason. She then sat there and debated with herself out loud if she wanted to cut it off there or send me to the hand surgeon. After consulting with another doctor she decided to cut as much of it off as she could and hope that anything remaining would go away on its own. Have any of you had a numbing shot in your fingertip before? IT HURTS! So after the pain of the shot, the large amount of blood lost, and the smell of burning flesh I am left with this:


Now, imagine doing some of the following with that on your finger:
typing
dishes
showering
changing explosive baby diapers (thanks for the help Greg!)
eating greasy pizza
eating a PB & J sandwich
putting in and taking out contacts
doing your makeup

You see...I am right handed, making all of these things that much harder. And my disclaimer for this post is that if there are typos you try to post without you dominate index finger!

2 comments:

Jean said...

That looks painful! I hope you have a speedy recovery! Good thing today's valentines and Greg can cook a smashing dinner for you.. :)

Anonymous said...

Ouch, Jess!!! That sounds horribly uncomfortable! How long are you going to have to wear that bandage? I hope it's feeling much better soon. I had an infection in my index finger once. The doctor took a knife and cut the top of my finger (just below the nail) 3 times. It was so painful!!! I can't imagine having a needle stuck in!!! Take care.